Samuel Proctor Massie, Jr., who grew up in North Little Rock, was a chemist known worldwide. He worked on the Manhattan Project as a doctoral candidate at Iowa State University and later taught at the Naval Academy. For more information, click here.
Alonzo “Lonnie” Clayton was 15 when he won the Kentucky Derby in 1892 and returned home to North Little Rock to build a Queen Anne Victorian house at 2105 Maple Street, known today as the Engelberger House for the family that purchased the property in 1912. Clayton was inducted into the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame in 2012. For more information, click here.
William F. “Casey” Laman, namesake of the North Little Rock library, modernized the city during the upheaval of Urban Renewal, interstate construction and the civil rights movement during his feisty tenure as mayor from 1958-72 and 1979-80. He also initiated development of Burns Park. For more information, click here.
North Little Rock history. For more information, click here.
Six black students attempted to integrate North Little Rock High School on Sept. 9, 1957, but they were turned away at the door by a mob of protesters. For more information, click here.
Black families fled Argenta in October 1906 after riots broke out over the revenge killing of John B. Lindsey and led to the lynching of Homer Blackman at Sixth and Main. For more information, click here.